Australia’s number one golfing tournament, The Australian Open, will continue to call Sydney home after an historic agreement was struck with Golf Australia.
NSW Premier Mike Baird and NSW Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events and Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres today announced a new eight-year deal for The Australian Open.
“Sydney is the home of major events in Australia and I’m pleased to announce this event is here to stay as it celebrates its 100th edition this November,” Mr Baird said.
"This year's Open has once again attracted a high-quality field, including dual major winner, defending champion and world No.1 Jordan Spieth alongside our own Masters winner and former Australian Open champion Adam Scott.”
Mr Ayres said the event had been secured by the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency Destination NSW.
“The Australian Open has built a home in Sydney and is now a fixture on the state’s major event calendar taking place on the last weekend of November each year,” Mr Ayres said.
"Within minutes of leaving the tournament, Australian Open spectators will find themselves at one of the Harbour City's world-class restaurants, hotels or beaches.”
Golf Australia Chief Executive Officer Stephen Pitt said: "We've been thrilled with the support from the NSW Government, our naming rights sponsor Emirates and the players. Along with the clubs and golf fans of Sydney who've really embraced the event, we have raised the global awareness of the championship and also of Sydney as a world-class golfing destination," Mr Pitt said.
"The Open continues to deliver the world's best players to Sydney, as evidenced in the past two years when Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth have each springboarded to world No.1 status and major championship victories after winning the Stonehaven Cup."
The Australian Open will be held at The Australian Golf Club from November 26-29.