Parramatta North Heritage Open Day
1 Fleet Street, North Parramatta, NSW, 2151, Australia
No upcoming dates
Peek inside some of the heritage buildings previously not normally open to the public.
Immerse yourself in the hidden history of Parramatta Girls Home with a 3D virtual reality experience.
See artefacts discovered during recent archaeological investigations.
Entry is free. Bring the kids for a picnic. BYO food and non-alcoholic drinks permitted. Snacks and drinks will also be available to purchase.
Enjoy free guided tours of the grounds, including:
- the former Parramatta Female Factory and Lunatic Asylum
- Norma Parker Centre (former Orphanage and Parramatta Industrial School for Girls)
- the native grey headed flying fox colony.
There will also be tours of Parramatta Gaol offered by Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council ($15 per person).
Listen to free talks from heritage and archaeology specialists including:
- Brian Powyer, President of the National Trust Australia (NSW), talks to the relevance, significance and potential of the Parramatta North Heritage Precinct
- Jillian Comber, Aboriginal Archaeologist, talks to the artefacts discovered during recent archaeological investigations and their significance
- Tom and Meg Keneally talk about writing “The Female Factory”
- Mary Casey talks about Parramatta's archaeology
- Terry Smith talks about transition of Parramatta Female Factory to public asylum.