Various locations around Sydney, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia
6th January 2018 to 28th January 2018
Exuberant, exciting and forever effervescent – the best time to experience Sydney is in January, when the city is in full celebratory mode.
Sydney Festival presents the biggest and best of the world's performing and visual arts, all coming together in an avalanche of artistic activity.
From the central business district to Parramatta, Sydney Festival brings to life unique spaces including the Festival Village in Hyde Park, Sydney Town Hall and The Domain, as well as making the most of Sydney's best venues including Carriageworks, Riverside Theatres and Sydney Opera House.
Highlights of 2018's festival
- Contemporary ballet Tree of Codes, a collaboration between choreographer Wayne McGregor, artist Olafur Eliasson and musician Jamie xx.
- A new Village Sideshow at Meriton Festival Village containing a virtual reality Ghost Train, double-decker Karaoke Carousel, a Glitterbox, swimming pools.
- Circus Oz’ latest show Model Citizens, featuring an all-new ensemble and new artistic director Rob Tannion.
- Aquasonic, an ethereal underwater concert performed by five Danish musicians on custom-made instruments whilst submerged in aquariums.
- The Australian premiere of Town Hall Affair which reimagines a raucous 1971 feminist debate. Featuring Maura Tierney as Germaine Greer, the New York theatre company Wooster Group perform in Sydney for the first time.
- The critically acclaimed Barber Shop Chronicles, direct from London’s National Theatre, exploring the role of the barber shop in the lives of African men.