$273 million package to fix Hunter roads
The Hunter roads package
The Hunter roads package is set to reduce travel times, improve safety and create valuable local jobs during construction.
The $273 million investment builds on the record investment the NSW Government is already undertaking in the Hunter – taking the total contribution to Hunter infrastructure to more than $1 billion.
The package will be funded by Rebuilding NSW, and will begin in 2015-16.
The package will consist of various road projects, including:
- $2 million to improve access from University Drive into Newcastle University, Callaghan Campus.
- $12 million to upgrade the intersections of Pacific Highway and Kahibah Road, and Pacific Highway and Northcott Drive, Highfields.
- $1.5 million to upgrade the intersection of Griffiths Road and Broadmeadow Road, Broadmeadow.
- $8 million to upgrade the intersections of Industrial Drive and Tourle Street, and Industrial Drive and Werribi Street, Mayfield.
- $2 million to build an overtaking lane westbound on the New England Highway between Golden Highway and Singleton, Whittingham.
- $7 million for 2 additional lanes on the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road, Rutherford.
- $4 million for planning and pre-construction to widen Hillsborough Road to 4 lanes between Warners Bay and the Newcastle Inner City Bypass.
The Hunter also stands to benefit from other initiatives funded by Rebuilding NSW. These include the $1 billion Water Security Fund, the $600 million allocated to developing regional schools and hospitals and the $2 billion Regional Road Freight Corridor Fund.