Children’s Opal Card launched for school holidays
The launch of the Child/Youth Opal card marks another major milestone in the Opal rollout and is perfectly timed ahead of the school holidays.
The new green coloured Child/Youth Opal card works in exactly the same way as the adult card, but automatically calculates child fares at 50% of an adult fare. Furthermore, children get their daily travel cap halved, meaning they can travel on any mode of public transport with Opal for no more than $7.50 a day from Monday to Saturday.
Youth Opal Card incentives include:
- Cheaper than MyTrain, MyFerry or MyBus single tickets
- Weekly Travel Reward – after eight paid journeys in a week, children can travel for free on any Opal activated service, for the rest of the week
- Travel anywhere on any mode for no more than $2.50 on Sunday
- Daily travel cap of $7.50 Monday to Saturday
- You don’t have to worry if you lose it – simply cancel the card and your balance will be transferred to a new card.
“Children aged 4 to 16 and young people still at school can now carry their own Opal card and access all the benefits – including cheaper fares, daily travel caps and free travel anywhere on the public transport network after eight paid journeys a week”, Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian said.
The Child/Youth Opal Card is not a school travel pass. It designed for paid non-school travel, weekends and school holidays. A separate Opal card for travel to and from school will be released later in the rollout.
To be eligible for the Child/Youth card you have to be aged 4-15 (inclusive), or aged 16 and over and still at a NSW or ACT school, with a relevant ID. Eligible customers can create a stand-alone child or young person profile in their name, or parents/guardians can link a Child/Youth card to their own Adult Opal card profile.
To order a Child/ Youth Opal card visit opal.com.au or call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) – it takes only minutes to register and then the card is sent out to your home.