Congestion busting team expands
The expansion follows the NSW Government’s successful implementation of MRT teams in Sydney’s CBD and Parramatta.
MRTs are made up of police officers on motorcycles who target congestion offenders to improve traffic flow, reduce crashes and improve pedestrian safety.
Offences targeted include:
- entering/blocking an intersection;
- illegal parking or turning;
- illegal use of cycle, bus and transit lanes;
- disobeying traffic/pedestrian signals;
- not wearing a helmet, and
- using mobile or other handheld devices while driving.
“These are short term measures that are making a big difference while we get on with delivering major road building and upgrades across NSW – from Western Sydney growth roads to the Princes Highway, Bells Line of Road, NorthConnex and Australia’s largest road project WestConnex,” Mr Gay said.
Since MRT’s were established, the teams have carried out more than 26,000 patrol hours and issued more than 28,000 infringements for mobile phone and drink driving offences.