Express trains to the Blue Mountains
Commuters and tourists to the Blue Mountains will benefit from the new changes, including:
- twenty-four new express services between Sydney and the Blue Mountains on weekends
- dedicated eight car express tourist trains with around 20-minute cuts to return travel times
- an additional 25,000 additional seats every week
- an extra 18,000 seats on weekends
- a new weekday Sydney – Lithgow express service.
Weekday Sydney – Lithgow return express trains will also better service regional customers who interchange at Lithgow on their way to and from Sydney.
The government will also fast track some improvements in the coming weeks by:
- doubling capacity on six current weekend Blue Mountains services from four to eight carriages
- providing more than 4000 additional seats on weekends.
Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance said the Blue Mountains was a huge domestic and international tourist drawcard with more than a million visitors each year.
“We know many weekend trains are packed to the brim, so we’re taking action right now, ahead of the new timetable due to be implemented late this year,” Mr Constance said.