Illawarra community shape region’s future
The draft plan follows the ‘Your Future Illawarra’ community consultation with the aim of expanding the region’s economy to create new jobs closer to home. You can view the draft plan by visiting the Your Future Illawarra website.
The extensive ‘Your Future Illawarra’ consultation process included:
- More than 100 written submissions, including submissions from five local councils;
- Information postcards delivered to more than 118,000 homes and businesses;
- Facebook posts with a total reach of more than 8,000 people;
- Online forums and an online noticeboard where people could share ideas resulting in almost 200 individual posts;
- 324 local residents completing community surveys; and
- Approximately 280 people attending community forums and the ‘Talkabout’ session with Dr Karl Kruszelnicki and Mark McCindle.
Minister for Planning Pru Goward the draft plan will form the blueprint for future planning for the Illawarra region.
“The Illawarra is a fantastic place to live and work, study, raise a family or retire, but we need to prepare now to ensure an even more prosperous and vibrant future”, Minister Goward said.
She added, “We need to start planning for a growing Illawarra today, so we can enhance the lifestyle people who live in the region enjoy, while making sure people have a home that suits their needs, a job and good access to services like transport and health.”
The Department of Planning & Infrastructure is inviting feedback on the draft plan. To provide your feedback and to view the draft plan, visit the Your Future Illawarra website.
Submissions will be open until 7 December 2014.