More large-scale solar farms coming to NSW
If approved, the proposed solar farms will generate:
- more than 1000 megawatts of solar capacity, which is enough clean energy supply to power 365,000 homes across NSW
- jobs in regional NSW at Gilgandra, Hillston, Narrabri, Armidale, Coleambally, Gulgong, Walgett, Jemalong, Balranald, Nyngan and Hay.
Minister for Planning and Housing Anthony Roberts said NSW was continuing to lead with solar research and innovation, in order to reach the national renewable energy target of 23.5 per cent by 2020.
“The 1000 megawatts is on top of the 660 megawatts that will be generated by 11 other solar farms that the NSW Government has already given the green light since 2011,” Mr Roberts said.
Three large-scale solar plants in regional NSW are currently operating, at Nyngan, Moree and Broken Hill.
The Nyngan solar farm is currently the biggest operating plant in the southern hemisphere, generating 106 megawatts for 32,000 homes. It has also created 250 construction jobs and provided $330 million in investment.
The proposed Sunraysia solar farm at Balranald, in the Riverina, is expected to produce double the solar energy of Nyngan.
Solar projects across NSW
Solar farms that are up and running:
- Nyngan Solar Farm
- Moree Solar Farm
- Broken Hill Solar Farm
Solar farms approved by the NSW Government since 2011:
- Bogan River Solar Farm in Nyngan
- Capital Solar Farm in Bungendore
- Manildra Solar Farm
- Riverina Solar Farm in Yoogali
- Griffith Solar Farm in Yoogali
- White Rock Solar Farm in Matheson
- Parkes Solar Farm
- Goonumbla Solar Farm in Parkes
Solar farms proposed by the NSW Government in 2017:
- Sunraysia Solar Farm (Balranald Council)
- Gilgandra Solar Farm (Gilgandra Council)
- Narrabri Solar Farm (Narrabri Council)
- Metz Solar Farm (Armidale Dumaresq Council)
- Hillston Solar Farm (Carrathool Council)
- Limondale Solar Farm (Balranald Council)
- Nevertire Solar Farm (Warren Council)
- Walgett Solar Farm (Walgett Council)
- Hay Solar Farm (Hay Council)
- Coleambally Solar Farm (Murrumbidgee Council)
- Jemalong Solar Farm (Forbes Shire Council)
- Beryl Solar Farm (Mid-Western Regional Council)