New strategy to grow the defence industry across NSW
The Strong, Smart and Connected strategy will provide a major boost to regional NSW, strengthen the economy and further support Australia’s defence needs.
The key strategy areas are:
- to foster stronger relationships with Defence and across the NSW defence industry at a state and regional level
- to leverage the state’s strengths in critical capability areas to grow existing work and create new Defence and defence industry activity
- to provide Defence and industry with their future workforce
- to sustain and grow existing and new Defence and defence industry activity across regional NSW
- to increase opportunities for innovation, commercialisation and research within Defence and the defence industry.
It includes the establishment of a new central coordination body – Defence NSW.
Based in western Sydney, Defence NSW will target the delivery of major projects including the Joint Strike Fighter and Combat Reconnaissance Vehicles (LAND400).
Industry Minister Niall Blair said the strategy would provide a coordinated, whole-of-government approach to prioritise the defence sector as a key driver of growth and innovation across industry, especially in regional NSW.
“I couldn’t be more pleased to say we are expecting this work will boost economies across the state, particularly in the Hunter, Illawarra, Shoalhaven, Riverina, Northern NSW and Capital regions,” Mr Blair said.
The strategy will also focus on major maritime programs such as Future Submarines, Offshore Patrol Vessels, and Future Frigate.