North Coast shark net results
Five North Coast beaches are taking part in the six-month trial that will end on 13 June 2017.
- Lighthouse Beach, Ballina
- Sharpes Beach, Ballina
- Shelly Beach, Ballina
- Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head
- Evans Head Beach, Evans Head.
Data from the trial will be analysed by NSW Department of Primary Industries shark scientists to assess the effectiveness of the nets.
Five-month trial results
- 29 target sharks (24 white sharks, three tiger sharks and two bull sharks) – one white shark deceased, 28 alive.
- Two non-target grey nurse sharks were caught and both were released alive.
North Coast Net Trial
- Six target sharks caught (two white sharks, one bull shark, three tiger sharks) – three deceased, three alive.
- A total of 244 non-target animals were caught in the nets; 117 were released alive (48%) and 127 (52%) were found deceased in the nets.
NSW Minister for Primary Industries Niall Blair said the local community would be consulted on their views on the outcomes of the trial.
“When the nets are removed, we will increase the number of SMART drumlines from 25 to 35,” Mr Blair said.
“This will also be the most effective measure as the whale migration period begins on the North Coast.”
A decision on the future of the nets is expected by early spring.