NSW to attract the world's biggest sporting events
Jobs and tourism will receive a huge boost if the NSW Government is successful in attracting some of the world’s biggest sporting events to the state.
The government will pitch to host 10 major events, including:
- Rugby League Nines World Cup 2019
- Men’s ICC World T20 2020
- Women’s ICC World T20 2020
- ATP Tennis World Team Cup 2020-2030
- Women's Rugby World Cup 2021
- UCI Road World Cycling Championships 2022
- FIFA Women's World Cup 2023
- Men's Rugby World Cup 2027
- Netball World Cup 2027
- Rugby League World Cup 2029
The events would inject at least $1 billion into the economy, with the Men’s Rugby World Cup estimated to trigger $578 million in visitor spend.
Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said the events would bring sports fans from around the world to NSW.
“It will be a massive boost for our hotels, restaurants, bars and tourism operators,” Mr Marshall said.