The NSW Tourism Awards:
- recognise NSW tourism products and businesses that provide outstanding service and experiences to guests in NSW
- highlight the diversity and strength of attractions and experiences in NSW
- identify the vital role industry plays in making sure visitors enjoy their stay, tell others and return year after year
- encourage and celebrate creativity, professionalism and innovation
- provide a benchmark for best practice within the tourism industry
- encourage the continual raising of standards and reinforce the value of the tourism industry.
At a ceremony at Sydney's Luna Park, 28 winners were announced in a range of categories including Major Tourist Attractions, Festivals and Events, Destination Marketing and Accommodation.
Winners from selected categories automatically progress to the Australian Tourism Awards, where they will be judged against the best from each state and territory on 24 February 2017.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events Stuart Ayres said the awards showcased the tourism operators helping to drive unprecedented visitor numbers to NSW.
“NSW’s continuing tourism success story is capturing international attention. Thanks to the superstars of our tourism industry, the next chapter is set to be an incredible one,” Mr Ayres said.
“NSW, with our glorious harbour city and magnificent regions is now at the top of the wish list for travellers and it’s easy to see why."
NSW tourism received $25.5 billion in visitor expenditure in 2015 last year and attracted 32.5 million overnight visitors, who stayed 180 million nights.
Tourism is one of our the state's biggest employers, supporting more than 171,000 direct jobs.