The Hunter roads package
The Hunter roads package is set to reduce travel times, improve safety and create valuable local jobs during construction.
The $273 million investment builds on the record investment the NSW Government is already undertaking in the Hunter – taking the total contribution to Hunter infrastructure to more than $1 billion.
The package will be funded by Rebuilding NSW, and will begin in 2015-16.
The package will consist of various road projects, including:
- $2 million to improve access from University Drive into Newcastle University, Callaghan Campus.
- $12 million to upgrade the intersections of Pacific Highway and Kahibah Road, and Pacific Highway and Northcott Drive, Highfields.
- $1.5 million to upgrade the intersection of Griffiths Road and Broadmeadow Road, Broadmeadow.
- $8 million to upgrade the intersections of Industrial Drive and Tourle Street, and Industrial Drive and Werribi Street, Mayfield.
- $2 million to build an overtaking lane westbound on the New England Highway between Golden Highway and Singleton, Whittingham.
- $7 million for 2 additional lanes on the New England Highway between Racecourse Road and Anambah Road, Rutherford.
- $4 million for planning and pre-construction to widen Hillsborough Road to 4 lanes between Warners Bay and the Newcastle Inner City Bypass.
The Hunter also stands to benefit from other initiatives funded by Rebuilding NSW. These include the $1 billion Water Security Fund, the $600 million allocated to developing regional schools and hospitals and the $2 billion Regional Road Freight Corridor Fund.