The extension will:
- prevent landlords from evicting tenants for loss of rental payments, unless they have attempted to negotiate rent reductions in good faith
- allow tenants to apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal to end fixed term agreements in certain circumstances
- stop landlords or agents listing financially impacted tenants on a database if they cannot pay rent on time
- extend the 90-day minimum period of eviction notice landlords must give to tenants
- extend boarding house eviction notice periods.
Over 50,000 NSW residents have accessed information regarding their tenancy since the introduction of the moratorium in April 2020.
Minister for Better Regulation Kevin Anderson said the measures have provided much needed support to tenants.
“As the impacts of COVID-19 are ongoing, we intend to extend the measures until March 2020, which will allow more time to return to normal,” Mr Anderson said.
Learn more about the tenancy moratorium.