Mr Stoner said up to $78 million will be available in this round, where a total of 19 project applications, worth a total $119.6 million, were shortlisted from a field of 58 applications worth more than $290 million.
“The projects were shortlisted by an independent panel for their capacity to help boost economic growth and productivity, ease infrastructure constraints, and support NSW communities affected by mining,” Mr Stoner said.
The Resources for Regions program represents the first of its kind in New South Wales, and will see up to $160 million reinvested into the State’s mining communities, revitalising infrastructure in the areas of Newcastle, Muswellbrook and Singleton.
The 9 short-listed projects from the Hunter region are:
- $4 million for Muswellbrook Council for the Upper Hunter Tertiary Education Centre;
- $7.2 million for Muswellbrook Council towards a range of local road rehabilitation and safety projects;
- $3.5 million for Muswellbrook Council to upgrade Denman intersection;
- $1.5 million for Muswellbrook Council towards Denman Children’s Centre;
- $20 million for Hunter New England Local Health District towards stage 2 of the Muswellbrook Hospital (Option A) development project;
- $12 million for Newcastle City Council for the Shortland Esplanade project;
- $6 million for Singleton Council to upgrade the Regional Livestock Markets;
- $2.9 million for Singleton Council for the Ryan Avenue pavement and safety project;
- $6.5 million for Hunter New England Local Health District for Singleton Hospital.
Proponents of the shortlisted proposals will now be invited to submit a full application to the Independent Assessment Panel for a final evaluation which includes further economic appraisals and project justifications, including delivery plans. Infrastructure NSW will brief the shortlisted applicants to assist the preparation of their applications.
The successful projects are expected to be announced within the next few months. A full list of unsuccessful shortlisted projects is available on the Infrastructure NSW website.