Safe and secure housing for domestic violence victims
The Rent Choice Start Safely program will provide domestic violence victims with safe and secure housing during COVID-19.
The Rent Choice Start Safely program will provide victims of domestic violence with critical support. This includes three years of rental subsidies in the private rental market and access to support services to help them sustain their tenancy.
To date the program has provided support to more than 350 individuals and families.
To be eligible, you should be escaping domestic or family violence and:
- be homeless or at risk of being homeless
- be eligible for social housing
- demonstrate that you will be able to afford the private market rental after the subsidy period ends
- be willing to receive support services, if needed.
Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Gareth Ward said domestic and family violence is one of the leading causes of homelessness for women and children and Rent Choice Start Safely is helping to prevent it.
The NSW Government is investing $20 million in additional rental subsidies until June 2021 to enable people to access and sustain private rental accommodation.
For confidential advice, support and referrals related to domestic and family violence, contact:
- 1800 RESPECT: 1800 737 732
- The NSW Domestic Violence Line: 1800 65 6463
- Men's Referral Service: 1300 766 491
If you are in danger or in an emergency, contact Triple Zero (000).