Agencies that replaced WorkCover NSW
WorkCover NSW was replaced by three new agencies in 2015. The work previously done by WorkCover is now managed by either SafeWork, icare or SIRA.
SafeWork is NSW's workplace health and safety regulator. SafeWork NSW:
- provides advice on workplace health and safety (WHS)
- issues licences and registrations for any hazardous work
- investigates workplace incidents
- helps enforce WHS safety laws across NSW.
icare is short for Insurance and Care NSW. icare:
- provides workers compensation insurance
- insures builders and homeowners in the event the property cannot be completed due to reasons including builder/contractor insolvency, death or licence suspension
- provides treatment and care to people severely injured in a workplace or on our roads.
SIRA is short for State Insurance Regulatory Authority. SIRA:
- regulates motor accidents and compulsory third party (CTP) insurance
- regulates workers compensation insurance and the home building compensation scheme.