Putting you at the heart of everything we do
The NSW Government is putting you at the heart of digital identity and credentials.
Shaping your digital identity services
Through the Have Your Say community consultation we learnt privacy, security and choice are important to you. We also learnt from community groups including those with a disability and those living in rural and remote areas that ensuring our services are equitable is important. Your feedback is helping us shape the digital identity services we deliver.
The Information and Privacy Commission (IPC) NSW has expertly reviewed the digital identity and verifiable credentials program, noting you can opt-in to this service if you choose. The NSW government will continue to consult with IPC to ensure your privacy remains at the centre of any services we design for you.
The NSW government will continue to listen to you and keep you informed on what is happening in this space.
Privacy and security
Aligned to the NSW Government Identity Strategy, all digital identity and verifiable credential services have adopted security and privacy by-design practices. This means products and services are designed to prevent a security or privacy breach rather than repairing an issue.
The following are just some of the ways the NSW government will keep your data secure:
The NSW government will not create a central copy of your credentials. You will store your encrypted credentials in a digital wallet on your personal device in the Service NSW App that you are in full control of.
- Credentials are digitally signed and encrypted which makes it harder for them to be faked or forged.
- Independent experts perform robust technical assessments during product development to assure appropriate privacy and security safeguards are in place.
- Vulnerability management and threat detection capabilities are in place meaning malicious actors can be proactively identified before they can inflict harm.
- Privacy experts are engaged to undertake independent privacy impact assessments throughout the product development lifecycle
ID Support NSW
The NSW Government is also supporting you through ID Support NSW, a one-stop-shop established to help those who have been impacted by identity theft.
ID Support NSWhelps by providing:
- Advice on compromised identification documents and how to restore the security of your identity.
- Guidance on how to keep your personal identity information safe.
- Options for additional support and counselling services.
A national approach
The NSW Government is committed to better customer service and more service options, to reduce the cost of getting things done and making government services easy to access for individuals, businesses and organisations.
Digital identity and verifiable credentials effectively supports this vision.
The NSW Government and the Australian Government are working closely together to explore adoption of a national Digital Identity ecosystem. The Australian Government’s Digital Identity system is a safe, secure and convenient way for you to access government services online. A nationally consistent approach will provide a seamless experience when doing business with government at all levels.
myGovID, handled by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), is one example which allows you to have your identity verified through a single channel to access government services rather than having to be verified individually by each Federal government entity.