Why is this important?
We are committed to lifting literacy and numeracy standards across NSW public schools to ensure students are given every opportunity to be their best.
A focus on literacy and numeracy skills helps to unlock children’s academic potential at school, improving their overall academic outcomes and increasing the likelihood they will attain tertiary qualifications.
Achieving this Premier’s Priority will mean at least an additional 18,700 students with improved literacy skills and 13,500 students with improved numeracy skills.
How are we tracking?
This ambitious target is designed to build on the success of the last Premier's Priority and continue to lift academic performance in our public schools.
The proportion of NSW public school students achieving results in the top 2 NAPLAN bands has increased steadily since 2016, reaching 33% in 2021. Despite the impact of COVID and the challenges for children and families with home schooling, provisional 2021 NAPLAN results show a slight improvement from 2019 in the proportion of students in the top two NAPLAN bands.
Implementation of the School Success Model is well underway to improve student learning across all schools and includes a range of initiatives to strengthen literacy and numeracy teaching practice.
Download the Bumping up education results for children data information sheet (PDF 209.46KB)
What are we doing?
The School Success Model is our evidence-led approach to improving the outcomes of students every year in our schools. The School Success Model is made up of policies and programs that together seek to improve the performance of every student, teacher, leader and school - every year. The Model is focused on two central objectives: getting higher quality support to schools based on students' needs; and sharing accountability for lifting student success across everyone in the Department of Education while improving our capability and capacity to do so.
- Curriculum changes to declutter content and focus teaching time on core concepts and skills.
- Assessments have been developed to support teachers in identifying student learning needs including the mandatory Year 1 Phonics Screening Check, the on-demand Phonics diagnostic assessment and the Interview for Student Reasoning.
- Reading and numeracy guides are available to support conversations about reading and numeracy improvement in the context of school strategic planning. The guides support evidence-based practice in reading and numeracy.
- The Centre for Education Statistics & Evaluation has updated its ‘What Works Best’ evidence guides identifying the highest impact teaching practices. An integrated suite of tools and resources is being rolled out to schools to help teachers embed these practices in every classroom.
- Schools are systematically assessing their teaching practice against best practice to identify areas for improvement through the Strategic Improvement Planning cycle.
- Directly supporting school leaders from more than 450 schools in data analysis and effective teaching practice.
- All public schools have set targets aligned to the Premier’s Priorities and are supported with School Excellence in Action resources to put in place focused improvement plans to lift outcomes.
Learn more about the NSW Government’s support for literacy and numeracy