These investments in productivity-enhancing infrastructure have helped make NSW the best-performing economy in Australia.
With the NSW population set to grow to more than 12 million people by 2056, the NSW Government will continue to invest in a transport network that can safely, efficiently and reliably move people and goods around NSW.
The government has now developed the Future Transport Strategy 2056. It is the first plan of its kind to look at how we can use new technology and innovation across our transport system to transform the customer experience, improve communities and boost our economic performance.
We are completing business cases for a number of high-priority projects that will help future-proof Sydney’s transport to meet population and growth challenges – such as the Western Harbour Tunnel and Beaches Link, Stage 1 of the F6 Extension, Sydney Metro West, and the north-south rail link in Western Sydney.
As part of our future transport vision, we will:
- identify and reserve corridors for future projects, to make sure the community, business and industry know where major infrastructure projects are planned
- support technological innovation, such as automated vehicles and smart motorways.
In the next 10 years, we will investigate:
- smart rail technology and an Advanced Train Control System to provide safer and more efficient train services on key lines including the T4 and T8, followed by the T1 and T2
- faster regional rail on key routes, including between Sydney and Newcastle, Canberra, the Central Coast and Wollongong
- improved train links to provide customers with more choice in how they travel. In regional NSW, this will include the Main Northern Line and electrification of the intercity network to Bomaderry/Nowra, Goulburn and Bathurst.
To provide direction to freight-related businesses and industry, the government is developing the NSW Freight and Ports Plan. Recent announcements by the Australian Government mean that the Inland Rail project will become a reality. The NSW Government will identify ways to leverage regional NSW’s central location in this once-in-a-generation project.
- Complete business cases for the Western Sydney bus rapid transport network, Smart Rail program, Sydney Metro West, and north-south rail link connecting Western Sydney Airport
- Continue the Regional Road Freight Corridor Fund, Fixing Country Roads, Fixing Country Rail, and Bridges for the Bush programs
- Partner with local government on active transport projects
- Continue to support growth in Parramatta by completing business cases for the Outer Parramatta Ring Road, Stage 2 of the Parramatta Light Rail, and the Greater Parramatta access plan
- Complete business cases for smart motorways technology, the Western Harbour Tunnel and Beaches Link, the F6 Extension, Sydney Gateway, Port Botany rail duplication, and Moorebank Terminal Road access
- Partner with the Australian Government to plan for Sydney’s Western Parkland City; and the Western Sydney Airport and associated transport links, including the motorway link to the airport
- Investigate faster rail connections for our regional network