The NSW Government has a strong commitment to supporting mining communities in NSW. Since 2012, Round One to Seven of the Resources for Regions program have allocated $345 million to 149 projects supporting the ongoing prosperity of mining communities in regional NSW. These projects have revitalised towns, upgraded roads and built essential community facilities while improving economic opportunities, local amenity and creating positive social outcomes.
Successful Round Seven projects were announced in late 2020, with 84 projects to share $50 million of funding.
Round Eight applications are now closed
Applications for the $75 million Round Eight of the Resources for Regions Program opened on 17 May 2021 and closed on 12 July 2021.
The program aims to support the ongoing prosperity of mining communities in regional NSW by providing vital infrastructure, economic opportunities, and positive social outcomes.
Round Eight funding is part of a $300 million investment by the NSW Government into the Regional Growth Fund in 2021, taking the total investment since 2017 to $2 billion.
- Applications opened - 17 May 2021
- Applications closed - 12 July 2021
- Assessment and approval process - 12 July - 6 September 2021
- Announcement of successful applications - Late September 2021
- Funding Deed contracting - October 2021
- Program evaluation - From January 2022
Program information and resources
Information on future rounds
In July 2021, the NSW Government released its Future of Gas Statement, outlining its plans for the gas industry in NSW, while ruling out gas production under the majority of Petroleum Exploration Licences (PELs), with the exception of PELs which support the future of the Narrabri Gas Project.
To ensure communities where gas exploration occurs receive their fair share, the NSW Government has also confirmed additional funding will be made available for these Local Government Areas (LGAs) through a future round of Resources for Regions.
Further details about the additional funding, including timing and LGA eligibility, will be made available in late 2021.
Resources for Regions Strategic Review
In 2019 a strategic review of the Resources for Regions program was undertaken, in consultation with key stakeholders.
The Program was refreshed for Round Seven in 2020, and it incorporated key findings from the review including a new set of funding criteria, to reshape and refocus the program. Key changes included prescribed allocations of funding guaranteed for eligible councils to ensure funding will flow where it is needed most; and community programs being eligible in addition to infrastructure projects.
A summary report (external link) (PDF, 140kb) of the review, outlining key findings, the consultation process and recommendations is now available.
The University of Technology Sydney’s Institute for Public Policy and Governance undertook research and analysis to inform the review of the Resources for Regions program.
Helensburgh Town Centre Revitalisation Project
Bylong Valley Way Upgrade
- General enquiries: For general program enquiries, email the Resources for Regions Programs team at email@example.com
- Grant management queries: If your enquiry refers to an approved project with an existing funding deed, email the Grants Management Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote your Application ID in the email subject line.
- Branding and signage approvals: For approval to use logos, signs and branding for projects with allocated funding, contact email@example.com. Please review the NSW Government Funding Acknowledgement Guidelines before getting in touch at https://www.nsw.gov.au/nsw-government-communications/branding.
- Phone enquiries: To speak to a staff member, please call 1300 679 673.