- 2kg whole free range chicken
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp chilli infused oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Brine the whole chicken in a sealed container for several hours or overnight. This is optional – to create a light brining mixture add 1 tablespoon of sea salt for every 1 litre of water. Do not season the chicken with salt if you brined in the first step.
- Cover the chicken in 3 tablespoons of a good quality Australian chili infused olive oil then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the chicken, then place on a baking tray and put a quartered lime in the cavity of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken in a moderate oven for 75 minutes and use a thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked. When done, cover and rest the chicken for 10 minutes before carving.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables of your choice.
This recipe serves 4.