- Splash of olive oil
- 350g Our Cow diced beef
- 125g Our Cow Mince
- 150g brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 40g gravy powder
- 1 stock cube (beef or vegetable)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 250ml water (add more if needed)
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 pieces of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for glaze
- Heat olive oil in a large deep-sided frying pan or pot with a lid over high heat. Add diced beef in batches and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, then transfer to a bowl.
- Add mince to pan and cook until browned then transfer to the bowl with diced beef.
- Heat a little more olive oil in the pan and cook onion and garlic, stirring frequently until golden and fragrant. Add the diced beef and mince back to the pan with the onion and garlic.
- Mix gravy powder, stock, Worcestershire sauce and water in a measuring cup until everything is dissolved and combined.
- Add to pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the pan down to a gentle simmer, add lid and cook for approximately 30 minutes to an hour or until diced beef is tender and falls apart when pressed with a fork.
- Once pie mix is cooked and the meat is tender, take the pan off the heat. Mix cornflour with a splash of water until dissolved and smooth, add to pan and stir until combined. Pie mix should become thick, add a little more cornflour/water mixture if needed. Let the mix cool to just above room temperature.
- Once the mix is cooled, get 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry and place on bench until soft enough to handle. Heat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Add one sheet to the bottom of a greased pie dish, pushing the pastry to all sides of the dish and trimming any excess around the edges. Add pie mix on top of the bottom sheet of pastry and then add the second sheet of pastry to the top of the pie.
- Crimp/pinch the pastry around the edges of the pie, so the filling does not leak out the sides. Brush top of the pie with beaten egg. Using a sharp knife, poke a few holes in the top of the pastry for the steam to escape during cooking.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 30-45 minutes or until pastry is cooked through and golden brown on top.
This recipe makes 4 generous portions.