- 4 cups (400ml) cream
- 12 large egg yolks
- 2 cups (200ml) milk
- 1 cup (110g) caster sugar
- ⅓ cup (35ml) malt extract
- 6 cloves Garlicious® Grown caramelised black garlic cloves, peeled
- In a large heavy-base pot, add the cream and milk and simmer over a low heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well combined. Remove milk and cream from the heat and slowly pour into the yolk and sugar mixture, stirring continuously.
- While continuing to stir, add the malt extract and caramelised black garlic cloves, this will now form your ice-cream base or anglaise.
- Pour the anglaise back into the large heavy base pot and return to a medium-low heat, continuing to stir with a spatula or wooden spoon. The anglaise will start to thicken (approximately 4-5 minutes) and will be ready when it coats the back of the spatula or spoon. The caramelised black garlic cloves will by now have infused with the anglaise and dissolved.
- Once thickened, remove the pot from the heat and strain the anglaise through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- Chill the anglaise in a refrigerator for approximately 2 hours, then transfer to an ice-cream churning machine, referring to your machine’s instructions to complete the ice-cream process. Alternatively, remove from freezer after 2 hours and break up mixture with fork then whisk to make the consistency smooth. Return ice-cream to the freezer and repeat process every hour until the ice-cream has a smooth consistency.
Makes approximately 2 litres of ice-cream.