The resilience of young people has been tested in recent years by multiple natural disasters including drought, bushfires, the COVID-19 pandemic, floods and storms. Since 2019, the number of children and young people accessing mental health support has increased. The experiences of children and young people are different to adults, and they need tailored support for recovery.
The NSW and Commonwealth governments have co-funded $14.1 million under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements for a Mental Health and Wellbeing Package as part of the Resilience NSW Flood Recovery Package, with $6.6 million dedicated to the Regional Youth Community Coordinator and Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiatives. An additional $13.5 million has also been provided through the NSW Government’s Regional Recovery Package to provide additional resources across regional NSW.
The Regional Youth Community Coordinator Initiative will fund coordinators to work with young people and communities across regional NSW. They will work with existing stakeholders and community groups to enable localised and tailored support to address the challenges faced by young people in flood and COVID affected regional communities.
Regional Youth Community Coordinators will also assist communities to prepare applications for funding through the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative.
Activities supported through the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative may include community events and social activities, sport and recreational programs, youth health and wellbeing training or cultural and community connection programs.
The Regional Youth Community Coordinators will aim to:
- build community networks to support young people to improve wellbeing and resilience
- facilitate community and whole-of-government responses to improve social and economic outcomes for young people and assist with community recovery
- work alongside schools, local councils and NSW Government agencies, services and community organisations to develop capability to support young people
- bring communities together and work with existing programs and services to improve community-based support
- assist with the development of community-led Community and Youth Strategies/Actions and pilots of local youth projects and initiatives
- work with flood and COVID affected communities, government and non-government organisations to identify and propose programs, including application assistance for funding under the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative.
If you would like more information about the Regional Youth Community Coordinator initiatives, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.