Regional Youth Community Coordinator Initiative
Regional youth and communities will receive support through the Youth Community Coordinator and Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiatives.
Regional communities have been devastated by floods, bushfires, drought and COVID and all this has been particularly distressing for young people who are already adapting to the challenges of growing up.
The Regional Youth Community Coordinator and Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiatives were created in response to the increase of young people accessing mental health support in recent years and who need tailored support for recovery.
The NSW and Commonwealth governments have co-funded $3 million for the Regional Youth Community Coordinator Program under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangement's Mental Health and Wellbeing Package. An additional $6.7 million has been provided through the NSW Government’s COVID-19 Economic Recovery Strategy.
The Regional Youth Community Coordinator Initiative funds coordinators to work with young people and communities across regional NSW. They work with existing stakeholders and community groups to enable localised and tailored support to address the challenges faced by young people in flood and COVID affected regional communities.
Regional Youth Community Coordinators also assist communities to prepare applications for funding through the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative.
Activities supported through the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative may include community events and social activities, sport and recreational programs, youth health and wellbeing training or cultural and community connection programs.
The Regional Youth Community Coordinators aim to:
- build community networks to improve wellbeing and resilience
- facilitate community and whole-of-government responses to improve social and economic outcomes
- work alongside schools, local councils, NSW Government agencies, services, and community organisations to develop capability to support young people
- work with existing programs and services to improve community-based support
- assist with the development of community-led Community and Youth Strategies/Actions and pilots of local youth projects and initiatives
- work with flood and COVID affected communities, government, and non-government organisations to identify and propose programs, including application assistance for funding under the Children and Young People Wellbeing Initiative.
If you would like more information about the Regional Youth Community Coordinator initiatives, please email email@example.com.