Skip to main content

Disaster relief and support for sport and recreation clubs

NSW Government provides financial relief and support services for eligible sport and recreation clubs following a natural disaster.

Some types of support require a disaster declaration for the affected location. Disaster declarations are determined and updated on a rolling basis.

On this page

Disaster relief financial assistance

A grant or loan may be provided to sport and recreation clubs and associations as a contribution towards clean up, removal of debris and/or restoring essential facilities, equipment or other assets that have been damaged or destroyed by a disaster.

The maximum assistance provided to a single applicant is a grant of up to $2000 and/or a loan of up to $10,000.

Who is eligible?

  • sport and recreation clubs and associations who have incurred costs as a result of the disaster, which are not recoverable through insurance, and who do not have the financial capacity to pay the costs from their own funds or reserves
  • assistance is not provided to clubs that have sizeable commercial operations or gaming areas – such clubs may include golf clubs or bowling clubs.

Find out more 

For grant assistance, Contact NSW Treasury via

For loan assistance visit Rural Assistance Authority for more information.

Motor vehicle stamp duty relief

Stamp duty relief may be provided on the replacement of motor vehicles written off due to loss caused by a declared disaster.

Who is eligible?

  • vehicle owners (private and commercial)
  • the vehicle must be comprehensively insured and written off due to damage caused by a declared disaster that occurs in NSW.

Find out more

For more information visit the Revenue NSW website.

To apply for a refund, download and complete the Request for refund of duty on registration of replacement motor vehicle form and submit to

Legal advice 

If you have been affected by recent storms or floods, Legal Aid NSW can help you with disaster related legal needs.  

Find out more by visiting the Legal Aid website or call the Disaster hotline 1800 801 509

Insurance advice 

If you have been affected by recent storms or floods, the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) can help you with disaster related insurance information.   

Call the ICA’s disaster hotline 1800 734 621 or visit the website or more information.  

Top of page