Concessions and discounts for licence-related fees
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for a concession or a discount depending on your circumstances. This may include whether you are a pensioner, a registered carer, a holder of a Seniors Card, or have a good driving record.
An eligible pensioner is anyone who holds or receives a:
- current Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia (Centrelink) or the Department of Veterans' Affairs showing a NSW address
- Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card endorsed 'TPI' (Totally & Permanently Incapacitated)
- Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card endorsed 'EDA' (Extreme Disablement Adjustment)
- statement from the Department of Veterans' Affairs stating that you:
- receive a disability pension of 70% or higher
- receive an Intermediate or Extreme Disablement Adjustment Pension
- have been assessed, under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004, at 50 or more impairment points
- Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card endorsed War Widow or War Widower.
Your eligibility for the concession will be validated electronically.
Applicants aged under 16
Applicants under the age of 16 are eligible if they're:
- named as a dependent on a current NSW Pensioner Concession Card
- hold a current Centrelink Health Care Card.
You are not eligible for pensioner concessions if you're:
- a NSW Health Care Card holder applying for a replacement card
- an interstate-issued pensioner concession card holder.
Pensioner concession card holders
Eligible pensioners receive the following free of charge:
- driving tests
- riding skills test
- Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment log book and guide
- replacement learner log books
- photo cards
- applying or renewing a NSW Mobility Parking Permit (disability parking permit)
- Alcohol Interlock Program administration fee.
Eligible discounts for customers
There are a small number of Department of Veterans' Affairs customers who are eligible for pensioner concessions but do not hold a Gold Card or whose endorsed Gold Card will not validate.
If this applies to you, you will need to get a letter from the Department of Veterans' Affairs which states your eligibility for the concession.
A letter is not required if your Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card is endorsed ‘Totally & Permanently Incapacitated’ or ‘Extreme Disablement Adjustment’.
Carers, Seniors or Senior Savers card holders
If you are a registered carer or a holder of a Seniors or Senior Savers card, you will receive a NSW Photo Card free of charge. You are not entitled to the other free services that Pensioner Concessions are eligible for.
To register for a carer concession, you must complete the Carers Registration Concession Declaration (PDF, 249.63 KB)and submit the completed form to Service NSW.
Discount for safe drivers
If you have a good driving record and hold an unrestricted full licence, you may be eligible for a 50% discount on the licence renewal fee, under the Fair Go For Safe Drivers Scheme.
If you think this applies to you and would like more information, see Safe drivers discount.
Pro-rata refund of registration
If a pensioner cancels the registration of a newly acquired vehicle (the previous operator paid the registration) before its expiry, they may be entitled to a pro-rata refund.