How to renew your driver or rider licence
If your driver or rider licence is expiring, you can renew it online or in person at a service centre.
If you're eligible, you can renew your licence online up to 6 months before it expires. You may renew your licence online for 1, 3 or 5 years.
You need to visit a service centre to renew your licence if you:
- want to renew for a 10-year period
- are a learner licence holder
- have an overdue medical examination or other test required to prove your fitness to drive
- have a combined driver and boat licence
- have changed your address within the last 14 days.
Renewing in person
To renew your licence at a service centre, you’ll need to bring:
- a completed licence renewal form (PDF, 1.09 MB)
- your current licence or other proof of identity
- the licence fee, unless you're eligible for a concession.
Depending on your licence conditions, you may also need to:
Once you pay the fee, we'll take your photo. Your licence card will be posted to you. You'll receive a temporary paper licence that you can use until your new licence arrives.
Your old licence card is used as identification for your renewal. It will be returned to you. Keep it in a safe place – you can use it to prove your identity to us for up to 2 years. It cannot be used as a valid driver licence anymore.
Licence renewal options
Full (unrestricted) licences
If you hold any class of full licence (C, R, LR, MR, HR, HC or MC), you can choose to renew for 1, 3 or 5 years.
To be eligible to renew a licence for 10 years, you must:
- be between the ages of 21 and 44 years at the time your licence expires
- have a class C (car) or R (rider) licence, and
- not be a commercial driver (such as a taxi or ride share driver).
For more, see 10-year licence.
Commercial driver licences are issued for a maximum of 5 years as commercial drivers need more regular eye tests to maintain their licence. This means they cannot hold a 10-year licence.
If you're eligible for a concession, you can renew your licence for 5 or 10 years if you meet the eligibility criteria above.
If you also hold a NSW boat licence, you may be eligible to combine it with your driver/rider licence when you renew. Find out about combined licences.
Provisional P1 and P2 licences
You can renew a P1 licence for 18 months.
If you have a P2 driver licence, you can renew if for 36 months. A P2 rider licence can be renewed for 30 months.