Who can get married
To get married in NSW you must:
- not be married to someone else
- not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild or sibling (brother or sister)
- be at least 18 years of age, unless a person aged between 16 and 18 years of age has court approval to marry
- understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
- at least 1 month before the date you plan to marry (but not more than 18 months), lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) (PDF, 139.16 KB) with an authorised celebrant or minister
- include words required by law in the ceremony and be married by a registered celebrant or authorised minister of religion
- provide an original birth certificate or passport in English, or an official translation of the document from another language.
If either person has been previously married you must provide:
Foreign language certificates must be officially translated into English.
Changing your name after marriage
Marriage in Australia
If you marry in Australia you can take the surname of your husband or wife without formally changing your name.
You can usually change identity documents such as your driver's licence and passport to your married surname by providing a copy of your standard marriage certificate.
Ask about the documents you need when applying to businesses and government agencies to change your name.
Marriages in other countries
If you marry in another country, you cannot register your marriage in Australia.
Recognition of overseas marriages
Overseas marriages are generally recognised in Australia if the marriage is recognised by the country where it took place and they don't break the Australian Marriage Act.
We do not provide any services in relation to divorce
For questions about separation and divorce contact the Family Court of Australia.
When you are applying for a divorce, the Family Court will ask to see a copy of your standard marriage certificate. If you were married in NSW and require a copy:
- apply online for a Marriage Certificate or
- find out more about how to apply for a copy of your Marriage Certificate.
For enquiries about proof of divorce: