On this page
What is a snow fuel trailer?
A tracked snow fuel or LPG trailer transports essential energy supplies to areas where snow makes it hazardous to use a normal fuel tanker.
You need a Car (Class C) licence to tow a snow fuel trailer.
Conditional registration for snow fuel trailers
Snow fuel trailers need to be conditionally registered to be used on public roads and road-related areas.
Conditional registration gives you limited road access to perform specific functions.
You cannot get conditional registration if a vehicle that complies with the construction and equipment requirements of the Australian Design Rules can be used to perform the same function.
See information about vehicle standards to see what standards apply.
Find out how to apply for conditional registration for a snow fuel trailer.
Oversize vehicle operators
Vehicles that go beyond the dimension and weight limits must comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. To find out the conditions for:
- NSW permits – contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371
- interstate permits – contact National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487.
Conditions of use
The following minimum conditions apply to conditional registration.
|Only to operate in the area authorised by the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service||OL99|
|Vehicle to be floated from site to site||LO99|
|Transport for NSW inspection required||GO90|
|Must meet requirements of Vehicle inspectors bulletin 13 - Over-snow vehicles (PDF, 143.4 KB)||GO91|
|Couplings/safety chains must comply with the requirements of Australian Design Rule 62 – Mechanical Connections Between Vehicles||GO88|
|Flashing amber beacon required and used when vehicle moving||SL1|
- Couplings/safety chains must comply with the requirements of Australian Design Rule 62 – Mechanical Connections Between Vehicles
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles or Schedule 2 of the Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW) for heavy vehicles.
|Equipment||24 Hour use|
|Amber rotating beacon||Yes|
|Tail and clearance lights||Yes|
|Side reflective tape||Yes|
|Rear vision mirror(s)||No|
All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of:
- Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017 for light vehicles, or
- Heavy Vehicle (Vehicle Standards) National Regulation (NSW).
Transport for NSW office use
|Compulsory Third Party insurance class||
Conditional registration - MVEH
Unregistered Vehicle Permit - N/A
|Registration usage||Not applicable|