Skip to main content

Get NSW registration for a vehicle written-off interstate

How to register a vehicle in NSW that's been written-off in another state.

Register a written-off vehicle from interstate

Repair and re-register interstate

If you buy a light vehicle that's been written-off interstate, it must be repaired, inspected and registered interstate before you can apply for NSW registration. You'll need to follow the rules that apply for written-off vehicles in that state.

Check how long the vehicle has been registered

The Vehicle Identity Unit inspects all interstate registered written-off vehicles that have not been registered for more than 12 months in another jurisdiction before they apply to be registered in NSW.

Book a VIIU inspection

Apply for NSW registration

Follow the same steps as you would to register any other used or secondhand vehicle.

Top of page