You must meet the Home Affairs requirements for the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) – Entrepreneur stream.
Applicants must be under 55 years of age.
You must demonstrate you have either:
- a strong background in the field of your product or service, or
- a strong background in business or entrepreneurial activities
You must be accepted by a NSW Startup Accelerator Program or Startup Incubator Program.
Accelerators and Incubators include (but are not limited to):
- Caltex C-lab
- Cicada Innovations
- Future Transport Digital Accelerator
- Haymarket HQ
- Microsoft ScaleUp Program
- Stone and Chalk
- Tank Stream Labs
- The Founder Institute
- The Studio
- UTS Startups
Funding from a third party
You must show you have secured adequate funding to complete your project from an approved entity.
Approved entities include a:
- Commonwealth Government agency
- NSW government agency
- Publicly funded research or innovation organisation
- Higher education provider specified as a Table A or Table B provider under Part 2-1 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003, or
- Investor registered as an Australian Venture Capital Limited Partnership or Early Stage Venture Capital Limited Partnership
Your business proposal must clearly demonstrate:
- how your product or service is significantly different from products or services already existing in NSW
- how your innovative ideas will benefit NSW
- how you intend to commercialise your product or service and develop your enterprise or business in NSW
You must also clearly show that you have:
- completed a proof of concept (e.g. customer interviews, surveys, or focus groups)
- a potential business customer (B2B) or business channel to market (B2C)
- a scalable solution that can be deployed to multiple customers
- the IP or the rights to commercialise
Living and working in NSW
Applicants must have a genuine and realistic commitment to permanently live and work in NSW, and continue to contribute to NSW through entrepreneurial activity.
Your proposed business must:
- be headquartered in NSW, and
- have a NSW registered ABN
Registering your interest in NSW nomination
You must be invited to apply for NSW nomination for the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) – Entrepreneur stream – you cannot apply directly.
To register your interest in NSW nomination you must:
To register your interest in NSW nomination, you must first meet all the NSW nomination criteria outlined above.
Submit an EOI in SkillSelect
Submit an EOI in SkillSelect selecting NSW as your preferred state.
Pay the registration of interest fee
A payment link will be made available as soon as possible for you to complete the ROI payment.
You may register your interest in NSW nomination before completing the ROI payment; however, you will not receive an outcome until the payment is made.
Registration of interest fees are:
- A$330 if applying from within Australia (includes GST)
- A$300 if applying from outside Australia
Register your interest in NSW nomination
If you meet all NSW nomination criteria, you may register your interest in NSW nomination by completing our online form.
Assessment of your ROI
You will receive an outcome (or request for further information) within four weeks after completing you ROI fee payment.
Do not ask for an update on your ROI during this time.
Applying to NSW
You must apply for NSW nomination before you can apply to Home Affairs for this visa.
To apply for NSW nomination you must:
Be invited to apply
You must be invited to apply for NSW nomination. To be considered for NSW nomination you must complete our registration of interest process outlined above.
Apply for NSW nomination
If you have been invited, you may apply to NSW for nomination using our online form.
Do not apply for NSW nomination if you have not been invited to do so. Application fees are not refundable.
See our Guide to supporting documents for information about what supporting evidence you need to supply at the time you apply to NSW.
Pay application fee
A payment link is sent to the email address provided in your application immediately after you submit the form. This payment link is valid for 30 minutes only.
To ensure the timely assessment of your application, you must complete payment within the 30 minute timeframe.
Application fees for NSW nomination are:
- A$572 if applying from within Australia (includes GST)
- A$520 if applying from outside Australia
Applications that remain unpaid will be closed by our office after 14 days.
Application fees are non-refundable.
You will receive an application outcome (or request for further information) within four weeks of your application payment.
Please do not ask for an update on your application during this time.
You must submit a complete application, including all relevant evidence to support your eligibility claims when you apply to NSW.
Respond to requests for further information
If we require further information to assess your application:
- you will have two weeks to provide the requested information
- if you do not respond within two weeks, we may refuse your application
Do not ask for an update on your application
Please do not ask for an update on your application.
Our application assessment team is also responsible for responding to enquiries. Unnecessary enquiries significantly slows down our application processing times.
Apply using our online form
You must apply and submit all documents through our online form. We will not accept any applications by email or post.
Withdrawing your application
You can withdraw your application at any stage. Please Contact us to withdraw your application.
Providing false or misleading information
If you provide false or misleading information when you apply to NSW, you will be refused. NSW may also report you to Home Affairs to conduct their own investigation.
NSW conducts verification checks on many of the documents you provide.
NSW will not renominate applicants where:
- you do not apply to Home Affairs for the visa within 60 days, or
- your EOI was incorrect when NSW nominated you