About this location
Carinda House was was built for WH Crane and family in about 1880. Mr Crane was the proprietor of the Royal Hotel and at various times, also a saddler, butcher, farmer and grazier. Mrs Crane was the daughter of the chief Constable appointed to Warialda in 1847. Carinda was constructed of pit sawn timber slabs. Horse stables and paddocks were adjacent. The top floorwas added in the early 1990's. Carinda features original timber and bush carpentry. Sturdy tree stumps support the upper rooms, which are accessed by a narrow internal staircase. In the 1920's, Nurse Marshall conducted a maternity hospital and later Mr and Mrs Stehr ran a boarding house. In 1942, Mr Les Rolfe occupied Carinda and operated a stock and station agency. His widow later established an insurance agency on the premises. In 1977, a committee of Warialda residents and with the public support, purchased the property for use as a Community Cultural Centre. Carinda House is now managed and promoted by local volunteers with the support of the Gwydir Shire Council. Admire the gallery of arts, crafts, babywear knits, stationary, souvenirs, baked goods, jams, marmalades and exhibitions that are on display and available to purchase.
15 Stephen Street, Warialda NSW 2402
- Free entry
- Welcomes people with access needs, contact venue/organiser for details
- Public Toilet
- Shop / Gift Shop