Premier announces new chair of IPART
Premier Gladys Berejiklian today announced Dr Paul Paterson as the new Chair of the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) and thanked outgoing Chair Dr Peter Boxall for his significant contributions in the role over the last seven years.
“I am pleased to welcome Dr Paterson to the role and have no doubt he will continue to protect the interests of consumers and taxpayers of NSW,” Ms Berejiklian said.
Dr Paterson was previously appointed an IPART Tribunal member in 2013, before taking up a senior role in the Commonwealth Government. He has 30 years’ of experience as a senior industry economist and has held senior roles in several Commonwealth and State government policy, research and regulatory bodies, including:
- Adjunct Professor, University of Technology Sydney Business School
- Head, Commonwealth Bureau of Communications Research & Chief Economist Department of Communications
- Director Regulation, Telstra
- Executive Director, NSW Office of Economic Development
- Visiting Economist, Commonwealth Treasury
- Assistant Secretary, Policy and Analysis, Commonwealth Bureau of Labour Market Research.
Ms Berejiklian thanked Dr Peter Boxall for the major contribution he made during his time as Chair of IPART, “Dr Boxall’s leadership of the Tribunal since November 2011 has delivered real benefits for the people of NSW.”
Dr Paterson will begin his appointment as Chair from 11 February 2019. He will join existing Tribunal members Mr Ed Willett and Ms Deborah Cope for a five-year term.