QR codes are a common type of electronic check-in system. QR codes operate like barcodes, with information that can be read by a smartphone camera. Some phones may require a free QR code reader app, which are available from the Android or iPhone stores. QR codes provide a hygienic, contactless way of signing into a venue.
QR code check-ins are no longer required. However, businesses may continue to use them at their discretion.
Businesses using a QR code check-in system should have an alternative form of electronic check-in for patrons without smartphones.
To help you with contactless customer or visitor record keeping, we’ve created a unique, free QR code system.
The system sends customer information directly to Service NSW.
Using the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in QR code system means you do not need to store the data and it is readily available for NSW Health if needed.
How to get the QR code
Get a QR code for my business.
You should have a single Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in QR code for each separate business.
How to recover your QR code
If you need to recover your QR code, you can
- go to your business resources page
- enter the email you used to register your business.
Service NSW business online form
Your business resources page also includes a link to the Service NSW business online form.
If you have technical difficulties with the QR code or you have a patron without a mobile phone, you can use the Service NSW business online form to record customer details.
Helping someone use the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in
Display the QR code
- Download and display your unique Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in poster. (Do not alter the poster in any way or the QR code may not display correctly).
- Display the QR code where it’s easy to see and easy for people to scan. Display copies of the code at different heights for people with limited mobility or who are using wheelchairs.
- Confirm the person has successfully checked in (look for the green tick on the confirmation screen).
Different ways customers can check in
Using the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in there are different ways for customers to check in.
They can use their own mobile phone and:
- the Service NSW app and a MyServiceNSW Account
- the Service NSW app only
- the Service NSW business online form.
Check-in using the Service NSW app
Use our step by step on how to use the Service NSW app to guide customers.
Visit the Service NSW mobile app page for support information on device operating systems and privacy information.
If someone needs help to check-in
Follow the steps below to help the person check-in if they are having difficulties.
- Open the unique Service NSW business online form URL (the link that was supplied with your COVID Safe registration confirmation email). You may want to bookmark this as a ‘Favourite’.
- Enter the customer’s details into the Service NSW business online form. Always maintain the privacy of your customers’ contact details.
- If there are dependents, select 'Add a dependent'.
- Select ‘Submit’ to successfully check in the customer.
COVID-19 check-in card
The COVID-19 check-in card provides a quicker, alternative digital check-in method for customers without a smartphone.
The COVID-19 check-in card is a hard copy card with a secure, unique QR code that contains a customer’s registered contact details, including name and phone number.
How does the COVID-19 check-in card work?
Customers who register for a COVID-19 check-in card can present their card and have it scanned by a business as an alternative digital check-in method.
When a business scans the QR code on the card, the customer’s registered contact details automatically populate in the unique Service NSW business online webform.
The customer’s check-in information is directly available for NSW Health’s contact tracing team in the event of a positive COVID-19 case.
Learn more about the COVID-19 check-in card.
You must provide an alternative form of electronic check-in for people without smartphones.