Mandatory electronic check-in for businesses from Monday 23 November 2020
From Monday 23 November 2020, customer check-in at businesses must be completed using electronic methods e.g. a QR code.
The Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in is strongly recommended to businesses as a free, secure and convenient system, but businesses are free to choose any electronic system that meets the record keeping requirements.
Using electronic methods to collect patron details
Fast access to accurate and complete electronic records helps NSW Health to quickly alert people who may have been in contact with a person with COVID-19 while visiting your business or organisation.
Efficient contact tracing helps slow or stop the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
From Monday 23 November 2020, it is mandatory for certain types of businesses to use electronic check-in methods to collect patron and staff details.
QR codes are a common of electronic check-in system. QR codes operate like barcodes, with information that can be read by a smartphone camera. Some phones may require a free QR code reader app, which are available from the Android or iPhone stores.
Some businesses are already using QR codes to collect customer details as they are convenient for businesses and customers. They provide a hygienic, contactless way of signing into a venue.
COVID Safe Check-in with the Service NSW app
To help you with contactless customer record keeping, we’ve created a unique, free QR code for your business that customers can scan when they visit.
Customers will need to have the Service NSW app installed on their mobile to record their visit.
Businesses need to ensure that they have measures in place that will accurately capture customer and staff details.
It makes the check in seamless by sending accurate customer information directly to Service NSW. This means the data does not have to be stored by the business and it is readily available for NSW Health to access if it becomes necessary.
COVID Safe Check-in is available to all businesses in NSW and is provided as part of the COVID Safe registration pack.
How to get your COVID Safe Check-in QR code
Businesses who have already registered as COVID Safe will be emailed their unique QR code.
Registered businesses and organisations can also access or recover QR codes using the email address they registered with.
Using the COVID Safe Check-in
- When a customer arrives at a venue, they hover their phone camera or QR code reader over the code.
- The smartphone reads the code and one of two things will happen:
- the customer will be asked to download the Service NSW app
- if they already have the app they will be taken to the check in
- A staff member may check the successful sign in on the customer's phone.
Setting up your own QR code check in
- Businesses can find their own QR code guest registration service by searching online or asking their IT services provider for advice. Read the terms and conditions carefully, paying particular attention to:
- pricing and payment details
- privacy policies
- length of contract and how to cancel the service
- how the data is stored and how you can access it when required - data must be stored securely onshore in Australia
- Sign up with a service and download the unique QR code.
- Display the code at the entrance to the venue so customers can access it easily. A staff member or COVID-19 Safe Hygiene Marshal should be nearby to assist customers and confirm they have checked in.
- If any customers are unable to use the QR code, businesses should have an alternative check in method available, such as an SMS service or manual check in with a staff member.
Register as a COVID Safe Business and get a free QR code for easy, contactless check-in.
The Service NSW app collects information from your customers and stores it securely in one place.
The app makes record keeping and contact tracing safe and easy.
Display your unique QR code where it’s easy for customers to see.
When they arrive at your venue, customers can check in with the Service NSW app on their mobile phone.
By selecting ‘COVID Safe Check-in’ and following the prompts, you can verify they’ve checked in to your business.
Customer information will be kept for 28 days and only released by Service NSW for official contact tracing It’s easy for you, easy for your customers and it’s COVID Safe.
Install the Service NSW app
You can check in to COVID Safe businesses who are using their NSW Government QR Code, via the Service NSW app.
Last updated: 20 November 2020