On this page
Rules around QR code check-in have changed
More businesses and organisations are required to have a NSW Government QR code so that staff and customers can check in using the Service NSW app.
Check the list of premises that need to comply.
Update 17 July 2021:
Restrictions to further limit the spread of the COVID-19 Delta strain
Using electronic methods for check in
Fast access to accurate and complete electronic records helps NSW Health to quickly alert people who may have been in contact with a person with COVID-19 while visiting your business or organisation.
Efficient contact tracing helps slow or stop the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
Hospitality venues and hairdressers must use the NSW Government QR code system.
For more information for clubs on specific requirements under the Registered Clubs Act 1976 during COVID-19, see the Liquor & Gaming NSW Statement of Regulatory Intent.
QR codes are a common type of electronic check-in system. QR codes operate like barcodes, with information that can be read by a smartphone camera. Some phones may require a free QR code reader app, which are available from the Android or iPhone stores.
Some businesses are already using QR codes to collect customer details as they are convenient for businesses and customers. They provide a hygienic, contactless way of signing into a venue.
Businesses using a QR code check-in system should have an alternative form of electronic check-in for patrons without smartphones.
To help you with contactless customer or visitor record keeping, we’ve created a unique, free QR code system.
The system sends customer information directly to Service NSW.
Using the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in QR code system means you do not need to store the data and it is readily available for NSW Health if needed.
How to get the QR code
Before signing up for a Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in QR code, find out if your business already has one by accessing your business resources online.
You should have a single Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in QR code for each separate business.
How to recover your QR code
If you need to recover your QR code, you can
- go to your business resources page
- enter the email you used to register your business.
Service NSW Check-in webform
Your business resources page also includes a link to the Service NSW Check-in webform.
If you have technical difficulties with the QR code or you have a patron without a mobile phone, you can use the Service NSW webform to record customer details.
Helping someone use the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in
Display the QR code
- Download and display your unique Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in poster. (Do not alter the poster in any way or the QR code may not display correctly).
- Display the QR code where it’s easy to see and easy for people to scan. Display copies of the code at different heights for people with limited mobility or who are using wheelchairs.
- Confirm the person has successfully checked in (look for the green tick on the confirmation screen).
Different ways customers can check in
Using the Service NSW COVID Safe Check-in there are different ways for customers to check in.
They can use their own mobile phone and:
- the Service NSW app and a MyServiceNSW Account
- the Service NSW app only
- the Service NSW Check-in webform.
Check-in using the Service NSW app
Use our step by step on how to use the Service NSW app to guide customers.
Visit the Service NSW mobile app page for support information on device operating systems and privacy information.
If someone needs help to check-in
Follow the steps below to help the person check-in if they are having difficulties.
- Open the unique Service NSW check-in webform URL (the link that was supplied with your COVID Safe registration confirmation email). You may want to bookmark this as a ‘Favourite’.
- Enter the customer’s details into the Service NSW Check-in webform. Always maintain the privacy of your customers’ contact details.
- If there are dependents, select 'Add a dependent'.
- Select ‘Submit’ to successfully check in the customer.
You must provide an alternative form of electronic check-in for people without smartphones.
Register as a COVID Safe Business and get a free QR code for easy, contactless check-in.
The Service NSW app collects information from your customers and stores it securely in one place.
The app makes record keeping and contact tracing safe and easy.
Display your unique QR code where it’s easy for customers to see.
When they arrive at your venue, customers can check in with the Service NSW app on their mobile phone.
By selecting ‘COVID Safe Check-in’ and following the prompts, you can verify they’ve checked in to your business.
Customer information will be kept for 28 days and only released by Service NSW for official contact tracing.
It’s easy for you, easy for your customers and it’s COVID Safe.