On this page
Using electronic methods for check in
Fast access to accurate and complete electronic records helps NSW Health to quickly alert people who may have been in contact with a person with COVID-19 while visiting your business or organisation.
Efficient contact tracing helps slow or stop the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
Hospitality venues and hairdressers must use the NSW Government QR code system.
For more information for clubs on specific requirements under the Registered Clubs Act 1976 during COVID-19, see the Liquor & Gaming NSW Statement of Regulatory Intent.
QR codes are a common type of electronic check-in system. QR codes operate like barcodes, with information that can be read by a smartphone camera. Some phones may require a free QR code reader app, which are available from the Android or iPhone stores.
Some businesses are already using QR codes to collect customer details as they are convenient for businesses and customers. They provide a hygienic, contactless way of signing into a venue.
Businesses using a QR code check-in system should have an alternative form of electronic check-in for patrons without smartphones.
To help you with contactless customer or visitor record keeping, we’ve created a unique, free QR code system.
The system sends customer information directly to Service NSW.
Using the Service NSW QR code system means you do not need to store the data and it is readily available for NSW Health if needed.
How to get the QR code
Businesses, events and organisations must register as COVID Safe to access their unique NSW Government QR code.
If you have already registered as COVID Safe, you will be emailed the unique QR code.
How to recover your QR code
If you need to recover your QR code, you can
- go to your business resources page
- enter the email you used to register your business.
Service NSW check-in webform
Your business resources page also includes a link to the Service NSW Check-in Webform.
If you have technical difficulties with the QR code or you have a patron without a mobile phone, you can use the Service NSW webform to record customer details.
Helping someone use the NSW Government QR Code
Display the QR code
- Download and display your unique NSW Government QR Code poster. (Do not alter the poster in any way or the QR code may not display correctly).
- Display the QR Code where it’s easy to see and easy for people to scan.
- Confirm the person has successfully checked in (look for the green tick on the confirmation screen).
Different ways customers can check in
Using the NSW Government QR Code there are different ways for customers to check in.
They can use their own mobile phone and:
- the Service NSW app and a MyServiceNSW Account
- the Service NSW app only
- the Service NSW Check-in webform.
Check-in using the Service NSW app
Use our step by step on how to use the Service NSW app to guide customers.
Visit the Service NSW mobile app page for support information on device operating systems and privacy information.
If someone needs help to check-in
Follow the steps below to help the person check-in if they are having difficulties.
- Open the unique Service NSW check-in webform URL (the link that was supplied with your COVID Safe registration confirmation email). You may want to bookmark this as a ‘Favourite’.
- Enter the customer’s details into the Service NSW Check-in webform. Always maintain the privacy of your customers’ contact details.
- If there are dependents, select 'Add a dependent'.
- Select ‘Submit’ to successfully check in the customer.
You must provide an alternative form of electronic check-in for people without smartphones.
Setting up your own QR code check-in
- You can set up your own QR code guest registration service by searching online for a service. Read the terms and conditions carefully, paying particular attention to:
- pricing and payment details
- privacy policies
- length of contract and how to cancel the service
- how the data is stored and how you can access it when required - data must be stored securely onshore in Australia
- Sign up with a service and download the unique QR code.
- Display the code at the entrance to the premises so people can access it easily.
- If someone is unable to use the QR code, you should have an alternative check-in method available, such as an SMS service or an online check-in form.
Video: How to get your NSW Government QR code
Register as a COVID Safe Business and get a free QR code for easy, contactless check-in.
The Service NSW app collects information from your customers and stores it securely in one place.
The app makes record keeping and contact tracing safe and easy.
Display your unique QR code where it’s easy for customers to see.
When they arrive at your venue, customers can check in with the Service NSW app on their mobile phone.
By selecting ‘COVID Safe Check-in’ and following the prompts, you can verify they’ve checked in to your business.
Customer information will be kept for 28 days and only released by Service NSW for official contact tracing.
It’s easy for you, easy for your customers and it’s COVID Safe.