Using public transport and when to wear a face mask
A person over 12 years of age must wear a face mask on public transport and in public transport waiting areas such as a bus stop or train station. Read more about the face mask rules.
To protect your health and others
- plan ahead and travel during the less busy times between 10am and 3pm if you can
- check the capacity of services before you travel with the Trip Planner, transport apps or social media to see which services have enough space for you to maintain physical distancing
- if you cannot maintain physical distancing, wait for the next service
- practise good personal hygiene.
Visit Transport for NSW for more COVID Safe guidance.
Wearing a face mask continues to be mandatory in airports and on flights in NSW.
Learn more about face mask rules.
Taxis and rideshare services
Passengers of taxis and rideshare services
- can travel in a vehicle with people who they do not live with
- must wear a face mask
- do not need to carry proof of vaccination.
To protect your health when you are a passenger in a taxi or rideshare service
- sit in the back seat
- use contactless payment
- avoid travelling if you are unwell.
Staff of vehicles and vessels used as a public transport service must follow the face mask rules.
Operators of taxi or rideshare services can find out more in the updates and guides from the Point-to-Point Commissioner.
A party bus is a vehicle being used on a commercial basis for the purposes of a party, whether or not the party takes place during transportation between locations.
Party bus passengers no longer need to wear a face mask or check in with the Service NSW app.
Under work health and safety (WHS) law, all employers or businesses are required to manage the risk of COVID-19 to workers and others in the work environment.
You can check in to COVID Safe businesses who are using their NSW Government QR Code, via the Service NSW app.
Opal Travel is the official app for managing your travel across the Opal network in Sydney and greater New South Wales. Use the app to add value to your Opal card remotely, enable auto top-ups, view your travel history and access other useful public transport information.
Live Traffic NSW
Incidents and conditions on NSW roads 24/7 from the Transport Management Centre.