Get proof of COVID-19 vaccination
There are options for providing proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations, depending on your situation.
Methods of proving your COVID-19 vaccinations
There are options available to show proof of your vaccinations:
- An immunisation history statement can be printed, stored securely in your Express Plus Medicare app, or downloaded to your mobile phone digital wallet. The immunisation history lists your COVID-19 vaccinations and influenza vaccinations.
- An international COVID-19 vaccination certificate. This certificate is important if you want to travel overseas.
More information is available on the Services Australia website.
How to access proof of your COVID-19 vaccination
If you are eligible for Medicare
You can download your immunisation history statement using:
- your Medicare online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- your My Health Record.
If you are not eligible for Medicare
You will need an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) to register your vaccinations online if you are not eligible for Medicare.
If you don't already have an IHI, you can apply for one and link it using the Individual Healthcare Identifiers service (IHI service) through myGov.
To do this, sign in to myGov then:
- Select Services or Link your first service.
- Select Individual Healthcare Identifiers service and then follow the prompts.
For more information, visit the Services Australia website.
If you were vaccinated overseas
If you’ve received an approved vaccine while overseas, you can have it recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). It will then appear on your immunisation history statement. Recognised vaccination providers in Australia can help you add approved overseas vaccinations to the AIR.
Find out how to add your overseas COVID-19 vaccinations to the AIR.
Carry proof of your COVID-19 vaccination
Your digital wallet
You can add your immunisation history statement to a digital wallet. A digital wallet is an app on your mobile device that also stores information such as debit cards, tickets and boarding passes.
The Medicare app
Your immunisation history statement can be stored securely in your Express Plus Medicare app.
Printing a paper history
You can print your immunisation history statement to carry with you as proof of your vaccination status.
You can print a copy by downloading a PDF using your Medicare online account through myGov or the Express Plus Medicare app.
If you can’t access proof of your COVID-19 vaccination online, you can:
- ask your vaccination provider – such as your doctor – to print your immunisation history statement for you
- call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Ask them to send your immunisation history statement to you by mail.
If you need an interpreter, please call the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450
Proving a medical exemption
If you’re unable to be vaccinated for COVID-19 because it may be harmful to you (known as a medical contraindication), you can get proof of your exemption.
First, your doctor will need to update your record on the Australian Immunisation Register to say you have a medical contraindication.
You can show proof of your medical contraindication with:
- a downloaded or printed copy of your immunisation history statement, or
- a NSW Health medical contraindication form completed by a registered medical practitioner (only valid in NSW).
Showing proof of a COVID-19 booster
Your immunisation history statement can display all the COVID-19 vaccine doses you’ve had, including booster doses.
You can download your history statement using your Medicare online account through:
- your myGov account
- the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- My Health Record.
If your COVID-19 vaccination information is incorrect you need to ask your vaccination provider to update the Australian Immunisation Register. For more information on updating your immunisation history statement.