Get proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Once you have received your first dose or are fully vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccine, there are several options to get proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations, depending on your situation.
How to show proof of your COVID-19 vaccination
There are 2 ways to show proof of your vaccinations:
- Your COVID-19 digital certificate which shows proof of only your COVID-19 vaccinations that you can add to a digital wallet.
- Your immunisation history statement which lists your COVID-19 vaccinations and all other vaccinations.
More information is available on the Services Australia website.
If you are not eligible for Medicare
You will need an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) to get your proof online if you are not eligible for Medicare.
If you don't already have an IHI, you can apply for one and link it using the Individual Healthcare Identifiers service (IHI service) through myGov.
To do this, sign in to myGov then:
- Select Services or Link your first service.
- Select Individual Healthcare Identifiers service and then follow the prompts.
For more information, visit the Services Australia website.
Add your COVID-19 digital certificate to the Service NSW app
You can also add your COVID-19 proof of vaccination digital certificate to the Service NSW app. This will allow you to quickly check-in and show proof of vaccination wherever it’s required.
The certificate is only stored on your phone or mobile device and there are controls to ensure your privacy is protected.
Printing a paper COVID-19 digital certificate
You can print your COVID-19 digital certificate or immunisation history statement at home to carry with you as proof of your vaccination status.
A black and white copy will be accepted.
You can print a copy by downloading a PDF using your Medicare online account through myGov or the Express Plus Medicare app.
If you can’t access proof of your COVID-19 vaccination online, you can:
- Ask your vaccination provider to print your immunisation history statement or COVID-19 digital certificate for you
- Call the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. Ask them to send your immunisation history statement to you. It can take up to 14 days to arrive by mail.
If you need an interpreter, please call the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450.
If you’ve received an approved vaccine while overseas, you can have it recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) when you return to Australia. It will then appear on your immunisation history statement. Services Australia can assist customers with adding approved overseas vaccinations to the AIR.
Find out how to add your overseas COVID-19 vaccinations to the AIR.
If you’re unable to be vaccinated for COVID-19 because of a medical contraindication (which means you can’t have any of the COVID-19 vaccines), you can get proof of your exemption. First, your doctor will need to update your record on the Australian Immunisation Register to say you have a medical contraindication. You can then get your COVID-19 digital certificate and add it to the Service NSW app.
Other ways to show proof of your medical contraindication are:
- A downloaded or printed copy of your COVID-19 digital certificate or immunisation history statement.
- A NSW Health medical contraindication form completed by a registered medical practitioner.
- A medical clearance notice issued by NSW Health.
Easy Read resources
This guide has links to Easy Read resources which explain proof of vaccination with words and pictures.