Find out why people change careers, and where to start.
People decide to change careers for a variety of reasons, including:
- dissatisfaction with their current job
- a shift in interests, career goals or values
- the desire for a more flexible lifestyle.
Whatever the reason or motivation, there are some things you can consider to help make any transition to a new career go as smoothly as possible, including:
- talking to people who have the job you want
- assessing what skills you have that are transferable to other industries and careers
- examining your financial and family commitments
- determining whether your current location is the best place to find new work
- enrolling in courses or classes of interest
- seeking out a mentor or trying out a volunteering role.
Managing your personal brand
Many businesses want to know if an applicant's core values match their own when assessing job applications.
To help them do this, they often explore the social media profiles of applicants to get a broader idea of the personality and interests of the person applying.