Information and support services to help provide practical and emotional support to children and their adoptive families during and after the adoption process.
- If you're interested in becoming a foster carer, guardian or adoptive parent there is support, training and advocacy services available at My Forever Family NSW
- Support is available for potential adoptive parents with guidance about the assessment process at Family Spirit, Anglicare, Barnardos, and the Department of Communities and Justice
- Parenting programs, guides and support to help you navigate parenthood are available through the NSW Government at Resourcing Parents
- Learn more about the open adoption process by calling the Open Adoption Hotline on 1800 003 227
- Find a range of resources to help guide you through the process of intercountry adoption at the Australian Government information and referral service Intercountry Adoption Australia.
The Adoption Information Unit (AIU) is part of the Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ), and helps children and their birth and adoptive families with:
- supporting positive relationships
- counselling and referrals to services
- assist a child to find out information about themselves and their birth family.
You can download the factsheet - Services for adopted children under 18 years and their families - to learn more about the Adoption Information Unit (AIU).
Other support services include:
- information, counselling, intermediary services, therapeutic groups and support if you've been adopted or are part of an adoptive family is available through the Post Adoption Resource Centre at the Benevolent Society
- free post adoption support including counselling, information and guidance is available through the Intercountry Adoption Family Support Service at Relationship Matters
- assistance for Aboriginal people who have been fostered, adopted or raised in institutions including research and reunions at Link-Up NSW
- intercountry social work and family support is available for families involved in intercountry adoption through the not-for-profit organisation, International Social Service Australia
- apply for an integrated birth certificate from Service NSW, which includes information about both the birth and adoptive families
- find play and social groups as well as specific intercountry adoption support groups at the Department of Communities and Justice.
- Add your child to your Medicare card once an adoption order is approved or apply to get your child their own Medicare card
- Understand the children’s health care programs provided by Medicare including dental services and immunisations
- Register for the Medicare Safety Nets
- Get free, public dental health care for children under 18 years old through the Child Dental Benefits Schedule
- Information and services for all families to manage relationship issues including counselling, mediation, dispute resolution, legal and financial advice at Family Relationships Australia
- Raising Children for information and resources for families raising an adopted child
- Information and support about raising children up to 5 years old including health, parenting and family advice at Pregnancy, Birth and Baby
- Parent Line NSW or call 1300 1300 52 for confidential advice and support
- Tresillian or call 1300 272 736 for advice and support in the early years of a child's life, including free Telehealth Consultations and Medicare Day Services