NSW Independent Bushfire Inquiry – Terms of Reference
Published 10th February, 2020
The Inquiry is to consider, and report to the Premier on, the following matters.
- The causes of, and factors contributing to, the frequency, intensity, timing and location of, bushfires in NSW in the 2019-20 bushfire season, including consideration of any role of weather, drought, climate change, fuel loads and human activity.
- The preparation and planning by agencies, government, other entities and the community for bushfires in NSW, including current laws, practices and strategies, and building standards and their application and effect.
- Responses to bushfires, particularly measures to control the spread of the fires and to protect life, property and the environment, including:
- immediate management, including the issuing of public warnings
- resourcing, coordination and deployment
- equipment and communication systems.
- Any other matters that the inquiry deems appropriate in relation to bushfires.
And to make recommendations arising from the Inquiry as considered appropriate, including on:
- Preparation and planning for future bushfire threats and risks.
- Land use planning and management and building standards, including appropriate clearing and other hazard reduction, zoning, and any appropriate use of indigenous practices.
- Appropriate action to adapt to future bushfire risks to communities and ecosystems.
- Emergency responses to bushfires, including overall human and capital resourcing.
- Coordination and collaboration by the NSW Government with the Australian Government, other state and territory governments and local governments.
- Safety of first responders.
- Public communication and advice systems and strategies.