The NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet and Minister for Customer Service Victor Dominello announced on 4 August 2020 that the scheduled five-year review into workers compensation would be brought forward.
Focus of the review
The review’s focus will be on identifying recommendations at the whole-of-system and whole-of organisational level.
Should the review identify actual or potential issues of malpractice or wrongdoing that may necessitate further formal action, these will be referred to the appropriate authorities.
What is in scope
The matters in scope for the review:
- comprehensive organisational review of icare
- the structure and sustainability of the Nominal Insurer’s and Treasury Managed Fund workers’ compensation scheme
- statutory review required by s32 of the State Insurance and Care Governance Act (SICG Act).
The review has been extended to include a root and branch examination of Insurance and Care NSW (icare).
The review will be headed by retired Supreme Court Judge, the Hon Robert McDougall QC.
The McDougall Review will include:
- the relationship between icare and the regulator
- the operations, culture and governance of icare, including the effectiveness and accountability of the icare board.
How the review will be conducted
The review activities will be determined by the Independent Reviewer and are expected to
include the following:
- Interviews by the Independent Reviewer (supported by the Review Team) with representatives from icare and SIRA, as well as representatives from other stakeholder groups.
- Review of documents from icare, SIRA, relevant Parliamentary documents and reviews, media articles and others.
- Review of relevant enabling legislation for workers compensation and the SICG Act.
- Seeking and considering feedback obtained through a targeted stakeholder consultation and public consultation (including a call for submissions based on the Terms of Reference).
- Commissioning of external expert advice on specific topics, for consideration by the Independent Reviewer.
Delivery of the report
The review will produce two public reports summarising the review’s findings and setting
- One report will cover the organisational review of icare, the issues raised in the media, and the review of the workers compensation schemes (Terms of Reference Parts One and Two).
- The other report will cover the SICG Act Statutory Review (Terms of Reference Part Three).
The final review report will be delivered in early 2021.
For further information or clarification on the review, contact:
- Andy Hobbs, Director, Commercial Assets, NSW Treasury
Telephone: 02 9228 4512
- Sam Kidman, Director, Office of the Secretary, Department of Customer Service
Telephone: 0436 913 351