Regional NSW hosts a range of unique and world-class events attracting tens of thousands of metropolitan, interstate and international visitors each year.
Visitors not only spend money at these events, but at local businesses like cafes and restaurants, tourist attractions and accommodation, supporting the regional economy and creating new jobs. Hosting a major event can also position an area as an attractive destination to visit again, bringing visitors back to further explore the region and driving additional visitation through positive word of mouth.
The NSW Government’s Regional Events Acceleration Fund aims to support the social and economic recovery of our regions after the devastating effects of drought, bushfires and COVID-19.
Events funded through Round One of the Regional Events Acceleration Fund are being held between March 2021 and June 2022. Events that were successful in receiving funding for this period but were forced to cancel due to COVID-19 can seek approval to host their event through to 30 June 2023.
Regional Events Acceleration Fund Round Two
Applications for Round Two of the Regional Events Acceleration Fund are now open, with a further $20 million in funding for events hosted in regional NSW between July 2022 and June 2023.
The aim of the funding is to help attract new events to the regions, make existing iconic regional NSW events even bigger and better and improve accessibility and inclusion at major events.
The types of events eligible for funding include:
- major sporting and lifestyle events
- major food and beverage events
- major music, art, cultural and regionally significant agricultural field day events
Regional Events Acceleration Fund Round Two is being offered across three streams of funding:
Stream Three funding must be applied for in conjunction with a Stream One or Stream Two application and is not a stand-alone funding stream.
- Applications open: Friday 18 March 2022
- Assessment process: Approximately ten weeks from submission
- Applications close: 5pm Tuesday 4 October 2022, or when funding is fully committed
- Events must take place between 1 July 2022 and 30 June 2023.
The following resources and tools are available to support applicants with their submissions. Detailed information about eligibility, funding categories and how to apply can be found in the guidelines below.
- Regional Events Acceleration Fund Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Regional Events Acceleration Fund Landowner Consent Form
- Toolkit for Accessible and Inclusive Events
- Regional Events Acceleration Fund Event Budget Template (XLSX, 49.01 KB)
- Regional Events Acceleration Fund Application Datasheet (XLSX, 111.43 KB)
- Regional Events Acceleration Fund Application Datasheet Instructional Video
Online Information Session
An online information session was held on Wednesday 30 March 2022 to provide an overview of the program, guidance on the eligibility requirements and application process, and to answer questions from potential applicants. A video recording of the session is available here.
Staff from the Department of Regional NSW are available to provide information and support for Regional Event Acceleration Fund applicants, please contact us via:
- The Department’s regional-based team, or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Call 1300 679 673
All applicants are encouraged to consult with their local council and regional representative from the Destination Network prior to applying. Contact your regional Destination Network.
Helpful documents and resources, including information on how to obtain Destination Management Plans for regional NSW, can also be found on the Destination NSW website.
Make an Application
Applications for the Regional Events Acceleration Fund Round Two are to be completed and submitted using the Smarty Grants online portal.
Applications close at 5pm (AEDT) on Tuesday 4 October 2022, or when funding is fully committed.
Thousands of history buffs descended on Orange in NSW's Central Tablelands to attend its inaugural Medieval Faire. This event was supported by a grant for the Regional Events Acceleration Fund.
The Department of Regional NSW can provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants and identify future opportunities where appropriate. To book a feedback session, please contact the Tourism Programs team at email@example.com