Emergency management governance
Emergency management governance in NSW is designed to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from the effects of natural disasters and other hazards.
Emergency Management arrangements in NSW are enabled under the State Emergency and Rescue Management Act 1989.
- State Emergency and Rescue Management Act 1989
- Public Health Act 2010
- Rural Fires Act 1997
- State Emergency Service Act 1989
- Fire Brigades Act 1989
- Police Act 1990
- Workers Compensation (Bush fire, Emergency and Rescue Services) Act 1987
- Community Welfare Act 1987
- Local Government Act 1993
- Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
- Environmental Trust Act 1998
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011
- Animal Diseases and Animal Pests (Emergency Outbreaks) Act 1991
- Protection of the Environment Administration Act 1991
- Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997
The State Emergency Management Plan (EMPLAN) provides a coordinated and comprehensive approach to emergency management in NSW. The EMPLAN is complemented by sub plans and supporting plans.
State Emergency Management Committee
The State Emergency Management Committee (SEMC) provides leadership, direction and advice for strategic and operational emergency management in NSW. The committee is made up of representatives from emergency services and other government agencies.
- Read about the functions of the SEMC.
- Read the State Emergency Management Committee Annual Report 2019-20
- SEMC reports and material
State Rescue Board
The State Rescue Board (SRB) is tasked with ensuring the efficient and effective maintenance of rescue services throughout NSW. The board is made up of representatives from NSW government and volunteer rescue agencies.
Some or our key functions are to:
- develop and implement rescue policies, procedures and practices
- devise and monitor rescue training standards
- determine appropriate equipment levels
- manage the accreditation of rescue units.
Read the State Rescue Board Annual Report 2019-20, or other SRB reports and material
|Commissioner Stacey Tannos ESM|
|Marine Rescue NSW|
|Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys APM|
(State Emergency Operations Controller)
|NSW Police Force|
|Commissioner Dominic Morgan ASM||NSW Ambulance|
|Superintendent Aimee Templeman||NSW Police Force|
|Commissioner Paul Baxter||Fire and Rescue NSW|
|Commissioner Rob Rogers AFSM||NSW Rural Fire Service|
|Commissioner Carlene York||NSW State Emergency Service|
|Chief Executive Officer Steven Pearce AFSM GAICD||Surf Life Saving NSW|
|Commissioner Mark Gibson ESM||NSW Volunteer Rescue Association|
State Rescue Policy
The State Rescue Policy provides comprehensive information on rescue arrangements in NSW.
Read the list of Accredited Rescue Units, for General Land Rescue, Road Crash Rescue, Vertical Rescue, Flood Rescue and Marine Rescue.