Diesel engine testing
We test diesel engines used to power equipment in underground coal mines to determine if they are explosion protected and their emissions are within specified limits.
We are an independent testing authority operating under a laboratory management system accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) to ISO/IEC 17025 and are accredited for testing to AS/NZS 3584.2 and AS/NZS 3584.1.
Type testing of diesel engines
We carry out type testing of diesel engines systems to AS/NZS 3584.1:2008 and AS/NZS 3584.2:2008 for underground coal mining applications. This includes:
- flame propagation and pressure determination testing, exhaust conditioner shutdown water levels and hydrostatic testing
- dynamometer testing of diesel engines for performance, exhaust emissions, surface temperatures, fuel and water consumption and safety shutdown systems.
- smoke measurement
- exhaust filter testing
- *gaseous emission testing (carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) by non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) analyser. Oxides of nitrogen (NO, NO2, NOx) by chemiluminescence analyser, hydrocarbon (HC) by flame ionization detector (FID).
*Awaiting assessment to include gaseous emissions under NATA scope of accreditation.
Type testing of diesel engine systems
We test to Mining Design Guideline (MDG) 43 and test technical standards for the design of diesel engine systems for use in underground coal mines such as:
- testing explosion protected properties of ExDES
- testing for exhaust emissions – steady state cycle
- testing for exhaust emissions – transient cycle
- testing for exhaust emissions – removable particulate exhaust filters
- testing for exhaust emissions – regenerative type treatment devices.
Fuel comparison trials to compare performance
We are specialists in conducting fuel and fuel additive, performance, and emission testing in the fuel and mining industries such as power, torque, fuel consumption gaseous and particulate emission measurements.
We carry out advanced diesel particulate/elemental carbon analysis that includes:
- total diesel particulate by gravimetric analysis sampled by Microtrol 6 partial dilution tunnel
- particle size distribution by Cambustion DMS500 particle size analyser
- diesel particulate by NIOSH 5040 sampled with Microtrol 6 dilution tunnel.