Apply for private and commercial moorings and read about the correct mooring type, licence and fees for your vessel.

A NSW private mooring licence allows you to moor your vessel at a specific site on navigable waters. Here's how to apply and the rules you must follow.

Marine businesses and clubs need a commercial mooring licence to moor on NSW waterways. Here's how to apply and the rules you must follow.

Moorings are used to secure a vessel in a particular location. Find out about the different mooring types, their uses and buoy colours. 

Transport for NSW manages over 23,000 private and commercial mooring sites throughout NSW. Find out about the audit process and the Moorings Reform Program.

Find out the fees and charges for private and commercial moorings and berthings, along with the different payment options.

To hold a private mooring licence, your vessel must be visually suitable and seaworthy. Here's how to pass an inspection.

Transport for NSW, in collaboration with Snowy Hydro, have established mooring licencing arrangements for Lake Jindabyne and Lake Eucumbene. Find out about mooring licences on Alpine waters.

Resident only private moorings assist residents whose general means of transportation to the mainland is via water. Understand what's involved in obtaining a resident only private mooring licence.

Find all the relevant documents and forms for private and commercial moorings.

Related information

The NSW Boating Handbook is your practical and essential guide to safe and responsible boating on NSW waterways. Here's how to get a copy.

Search our interactive map online to find the location of all boat ramps across NSW.

Transport for NSW issues marine notices for vessel operators. These notices give safety advice about potential hazards, special events, and closures.

Top of page