Plans for the Snowy Mountains
The master planning process for the Snowy Mountains precinct is currently underway.
Investigations for the precinct cover an area of over 70,000 hectares, focusing on the Jindabyne town centre and areas of high tourism interest within Kosciuszko National Park, including Thredbo, Perisher and Charlotte Pass. An exact boundary for the Snowy Mountains precinct will be outlined in a draft master plan.
Our work to investigate a Snowy Mountains Precinct will also look at opportunities to activate destination tourism at Eden, a natural gateway to the Snowy Mountains from the South Coast.
Industry and employment opportunities
Building on work already undertaken as part of the Go Jindabyne master plan, there is an opportunity to grow Jindabyne and the Snowy Mountains region into Australia’s Alpine Capital, benefitting industries including:
- Tourism and hospitality; and
- Sport and recreation.
Tourism is already a growth engine for the Snowy Mountains, however the precinct master plan will identify opportunities to:
- develop year-round attractions and improve amenities;
- improve regional access to enable more visitors to get to the area;
- remove capacity constraints to enable growth in winter tourism; and
- grow the region into the national training base for Australian Olympic and Paralympic athletes, building on the NSW Government’s $5 million commitment to a new National Snowsport Training Centre in Jindabyne.
All options big and small are being considered. For example, this includes investigating a potential new airport in Jindabyne to make it easier to visit this unmissable destination.
As part of infrastructure planning and development work for the Snowy Mountains Special Activation Precinct, field staff will be carrying out Geotechnical field investigations throughout June.
For more information about this work, view the fact sheet.
Consultation and workshops with key stakeholders including the Snowy Monaro Regional Council, local businesses, community groups and community members is currently underway.
The draft master plan is expected to go on exhibition in mid 2021.
For more information:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1300 REGION (73 44 66)